Tuesday, February 24, 2009

wasp

January 26, 2007

(to see a bigger version, click on the pic)


Usually I'm scared of wasps.
I've never been stung yet, but perhaps this is why my fear of them's blown out of proportion. In my imagination the pain must be unbearable. As a child, my sister was stung five times and her wailing could be heard throughout the neighbourhood.
O.k., she was a kid. And she was stung FIVE TIMES.
But still... Wasps are horrible. And dangerous. The pain might kill me... :p

So under normal circumstances I could never have got near enough to one of those creatures from hell to shoot the pic above.
BUT:
One sunny day last summer my hubby and me were at MacDonald's. We were sitting outside, enjoying sticky milk shakes, when the wasps found us.
One of them fell into my shake, the others buzzed off to annoy other customers.
I watched the wasp struggling to stay on the surface of my drink. I couldn't let it drown.
I'm scared of them, but I'm no cold-blooded murderer, so I fished it out with my spoon and deposited it on my tray.

It sat there (quite relieved, I presume) and began to clean itself.
You see, it was covered in sticky milk shake, so it was stuck (haha) on my tray for quite a while.
Ruthlessly, I decided to take advantage of its situation and shoved my camera in its face.
There. That'll show 'em!

No comments: